I read the Guru's post about a USB charger out on DealExtreme and I immediately remembered a post I've read a while ago on an Arabic mobile forum. It describes building your own USB mobile charger that will eventually look similar to the 6$ charger. I haven't tested this myself, but user comments on this thread were very promising.
This is a translation of the guide, original thread is on ArabNokia. Please note that I'm not responsible for any damages that might happen to your phone because of following this guide. I have not tried it myself and I'm not 100% sure if it works, or if it is safe to perform.
Here we go:
- Get a cheap compatible Car Charger and a cheap USB mouse.
- We won't need the charger itself, we'll only be using its end the connects to the phone. Cut it off but leaving a fair length of cable attached to it
- Same thing in the USB mouse, we'll be needing only the USB end. Cut it off, also leaving a fair length of the cable.
- Unwire both cables.
- In the charger cable, you'll find 2 wires, red and black. In the USB cable you'll find 4 wires; red, green, yellow and blue (white instead of blue in some cases)
- Now attach both red wires together, and the charger's black wire to USB's blue one. (or white if blue does not exist).
- Make sure they're isolated from each other. You can cut the other green and yellow wires we won't need them.
- That's it! Now you've got a USB charger ;)
I might do this sometime..
Grab my Feed if you liked this read :)